Part II of the #LokaLekha blog on the recent destruction of idols.
Part I: http://hareraama.in/blog/lokalekha/lenin-statue-before-we-question-the-demolition-shouldnt-we-question-its-installation/
When an idol of Lenin was razed to the ground in Tripura, some leftist intellectuals cried as though the entire world has been razed! Though it is not a good thing to justify the fall of any person or an idol, it does not reflect well on the so called intellectuals to react as though something unprecedented and unheard of has happened – without analyzing where did the idols fall, how many idols fell and what was the reason behind it.
Razing of Idols: It was not started in Bharat, it is not limited to Bharat:
As a matter of fact, Lenin statues have suffered felling all over the world; they have been falling! Statues of Lenin were felled in his own country much before it happened in Bharat! In many communist countries razing of statues of Lenin and other leftist leaders have been undertaken as a governmental mission! Forget about opposition from public, they have actually given complete cooperation in such efforts! (Source: SwarajyaMag.com)
- For example, there were around 5500 Lenin statues in Ukraine, which is the second largest country in terms of population in the erstwhile Soviet Union, in 1991; after a spree of demolitions what remains today is only a few hundreds! Destruction of Lenin statues is happening regularly in Ukraine for the past three decades; Government has taken the lead in this mission!
- It is not surprising if people detest seeing the face of Lenin who was responsible for artificially created famine which accounted for 6 to 8 million deaths in that country!
- In Ulan Batar, the capital city of Mangolia, the Mayor himself declared that the statue of Lenin is symbol of atrocities of Lenin and destroyed the statue with all festivities with the support of the public!
- Population of Romania, which came out of the clutches of communism which lasted for over forty years, celebrated the newfound freedom by uprooting the statue of Lenin amidst thunderous applause!
- Angst over communists is no less in Africa too! Look at the state of the statue of Lenin lying grounded in Ethiopia!
- Last is Russia: where first Communist dictatorship dawned decades ago, the country which is the birthplace of Lenin, his idols are being ruthlessly defaced and destroyed there too!
It is not only Lenin statues, world over statues of many communist leaders have been destroyed; for example, statue of his successor Stalin which is destroyed in the capital of Hungary:
- Statue of Joseph Stalin erected in Budapest by the people of Hungary in the year 1951as a gift for his 70th birthday was destroyed in just five years, on 23October 1956 by anti-communist forces gathered there in hundreds of thousands! They just left his shoes intact and celebrated by erecting the flag of Hungary on it!
- Forget Hungary, in Gori in Georgia, the birth place of Stalin, the sculpture has gone to the sepulcher! The statue which was shimmering within the Gori museum has been destroyed overnight by the government!
How can a ghost in his own backyard become God in our mother land!?
Recent rush in ruining the statues of communist leaders makes one to believe that statues of only those leaders who don’t have their statues anywhere are the only ones whose statues are not destroyed!
Breaking of Trust is behind Breaking of Bust!
What is the reason behind this widespread vandalism of leftist leaders who lorded over central places not long ago? That too, the destruction is not a result of attack from outside, they are being destroyed by the people and governments of the place. Why?
Answer is not difficult to find: Deficit of trust is behind demolition of busts! Trust of people on leftist ideology has been and continues to diminish. People wanted and still want liberation from the atrocities and cruelties of communist rule! The cruise ship called communism is targeted and sunk by the tsunami of common man’s outrage! The pent-up popular pique is bursting out like volcano to gulp leftist idols-ideology-incumbency! Deficit of trust in leftist ideology is culminating in destruction of leftist idols!
How can the idols shine among masses when the ideology wanes from their minds? When the ideology called communism is getting junked, how can the idols of communists jubilate among masses!? Can the roof be intact when the foundation is in trouble? If the people are allergic today to even tolerate their idols, imagine how suffocating the leftist governments would have been!
Contraction of Communism:
Is Communism actually dying?
“In its original form, it’s long been dead!” this is the statement of historian Robert Service, who has done in-depth study of the development and decay of Communism and authored the biographies of Lenin, Stalin and Trotsky.
There was a time; Communism was ruling a major portion of the world; moreover, it was spreading like a contagious disease! That was during 1989-90: 15 sovereign nations of today were in the vise-like grip of Communism in the name of Soviet Union; in addition 21 other nations of the world were under Communist rule. 1740 million people of the world were under direct rule of Communism; in other words, 33% of the world population was living by prostrating before Communist rulers. Coming to the places where there was no Communist rule – a huge proportion of the world’s population believed in leftist ideology during that time!
But things have changed now: In the vast world, Communist Governments are there in only four countries; furthermore, percentage of world population under governments with even a semblance of original leftist ideology are less than a percent; Communism, which showed the signs of taking over the entire world under its fold at one point has been reduced to 0.47% of world population.
There are nations; but notion is no more!
There are Governments in nations which are ruled by Communists; but the leftist notions are gone! For example –
- There is considerable chasm between haves and have-nots in Communist China; a poor man in China is much poorer compared to a poor man in America; but the same country boasts of 128 billionaires!
- Corruption is so rampant in China that a patient who is about to go under scissors has to pay the bribe to the doctor from the operating table; or else he has to pay with his life! By God’s grace, currently the cancer of corruption is not so cruel in our country!
- Government enterprises in China do not distribute the profits to the citizens!
- Present President of China is about to become a dictator! The man who has vanquished all his opponents in the garb of combating corruption has very recently managed to get the limitation ten-years for presidency removed! Now nothing stops him from continuing in office till his death and continuing to send his people to the house of death!
The truth underlined by these illustrations is ‘even where there are Communist Governments, communism is there only on paper!’
A poser before packing up: ‘Whether the end of Communism is good or bad to the world? If we look at history, it is clear that those who actually benefited from Communism are only leaders like Lenin and Stalin and not the common man! If it benefited the people, there was no question of end of Communism; common man would have wept while it breathed its last. Today, while communism is racing towards its demise, no one mourns for it! But there are many people who feel much relieved!
Generally, ideologies are ideal; problem is in their incorrect implementation. But here the issue is different, ideology itself is infirm! For the same reason, gift of Communism to the world are bloodshed-violence-cruelty-oppression-killing-mass massacre and some cruel dictators who were behind all these! An ideology which prescribes killing of all other classes to uplift one class is not an ideology! Hence end of Communism is not bad news but good news to the world!
We cry when life is lost, but does someone cry if death dies!? Or when torment is terminated!?
Translated blog of Sri Samsthana SriSri RaghaveshwaraBharati MahaSwamiji